I have begun to practice music reading. Using mymusictheory.com I have managed to get to Grade 1 music theory. I am currently studying grade two and at the same time reading the music and playing to a metronome where possible.
This is certainly the most difficult challenge that I have come across since learning to play the instrument. The written notation feels like a straight-jacket, which is exactly what I need if I am to become a professional. I'm hoping that it won't take me long to make serious strides, especially if I am too learn a piece of music from manuscript to perform in an exam.
I am also using a book called "The Bass Player Book: Equipment, Technique, Styles, and Artists" (Karl Coryat, Freeman Miller Books, 1999), which has the beginner music theory basics. I have studied this book for a few years since I became serious about being a bass player, although I had completely skipped past any hint of musical theory in favour of jamming along with the recommended albums.
To my SWOT I would like to add to the 'Threats' section "Other instruments" because I have found myself distracted by my guitar (mostly in relation to my Songwriting module) and my drum sticks (as I am learning to play drums at the same time). As of this Xmas, I can add Banjo to this list of distractions, aswell as Morgan's spiced rum and late mornings.
I am, however, determined to prove my tutor wrong that this production project will become a simple research project as he does not believe it possible from my starting point.
By the end of the Xmas holidays, I want to get passed grade 2 on mymusic theory (I will include a screenshot of the 'certificate' screen). This will lead me to my target of attaining Bass Guitar Grade 5, which I still feel is within my capabilities with continued study.
No comments:
Post a Comment