Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Matt and Phreds - After the fact

Last night I participated in a funk-jam at Matt and Phreds in Manchester. At around half past ten I was asked onto the stage with 2 saxophonists, a drummer and a pianist. Since I was, for the moment, the only bass player, I was privileged to play 3 jams with 3 different drummers. These were completely improvised.

The first jam we were asked to get a groove going. I set the key with the pianist as A-mixolidian and started. The drummer fell into the groove and we were away. I did find that my excitement gave way to a degree of fear when playing and I think I had set the amp level too low.

After the second song, the sax player complimented my playing and after the third the drummer was very complimentary and we agreed to work together in future as a rhythm section.

I plan on playing every month and am encouraged to play the blues jam in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment